A man has been mauled to death in a shark attack off the coast of Far North Queensland.
The 39-year-old set out on a boat with four people towards Kennedy Shoal off Hull Heads Beach, on the Cassowary Coast about 160 kilometres south of Cairns.
It is believed the group were about 30 kilometres offshore, in an area where bull sharks were sighted earlier in the day, when the man was attacked by a shark in the water.
The man was met by emergency services at a jetty, but died shortly after. (Nine)
Police at the scene of a fatal shark attack near Hull Heads Beach, Queensland. (Nine)
The man was brought back to shore just after midday for treatment by paramedics waiting at the Hull River boat ramp but died of his injuries on the jetty.
Local resident Jeffery Briggs recalled the frenzied scene at the jetty when the boat came back.
“By the time we’ve got in here, and got to the boat ramp, police were all over it,” he said.
Kennedy Shoal, where the attack happened, is popular with spearfishers.
Charter boat operator Gererd Pike said he saw several aggressive bull sharks earlier in the day in the area where the attack happened.
“I was out close to there today, and the bull sharks, mate we had one Spanish mackerel get eaten by about six bullies off the side of the boat there today,” he said.
It is not known if the group of four was spearfishing or if it was a bull shark that mauled the man.
Hull Heads is just south of popular tourist spot Mission Beach.
Close to the Great Barrier Reef, the area is popular for those wanting to go snorkelling and scuba diving, and also has several tropical islands for tourists to explore.
The death is the third from a shark attack in Australia this year.
In January, a 12-year-old Sydney boy Nico Antic died after an attack by a suspected bull shark near Shark Bay in Vaucluse.
Last week, a 38-year-old spearfisher Steve Mattabonni was killed off Rottnest Island in Western Australia after being attacked by a great white shark.
Nico Antic died in hospital after suffering severe injuries from a suspected bull shark attack. (Supplied)
Sydney saw a spate of shark attacks earlier in the year as wet weather created brackish water near beaches and rivers across the city, which are ideal conditions for bull sharks.
Similar conditions hit the city this weekend, with residents urged to stay out of the water.
A report on the Queensland man’s death will be prepared for the coroner.
News
THEY HAD THEIR WHOLE FUTURE AHEAD OF THEM…! — A grieving family is mourning the devastating loss of two young men after the rideshare vehicle they were travelling in was hit head-on in a shocking cr@sh.
Men killed in Sans Souci crash remembered as community raises funds Crucial questions remain about what happened in the 10…
THIS NEW BBC MYSTERY DRAMA SET DURING A DREAM HOLIDAY IN GREECE TURNS INTO A SLOW-BURN NIGHTMARE FILLED WITH SECRETS, DESIRE, AND EMOTIONAL CHAOS!
Two Weeks in August stars Jessica Raine (Call the Midwife) and Damien Molony (Bergerac) and lands on BBC on Saturday…
BREAKING NEWS — NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon has issued an urgent alert after a five-month-old baby boy vanished, with investigators now revealing chilling details that have dramatically shifted the case.
In a disturbing and rapidly developing case that has gripped Sydney, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon has launched a major…
THE BABY MAY BE IN DANGER…! — Police have launched an urgent search for missing five-month-old Alejandro Templo, who was last seen in Sydney’s west, as chilling new details emerge about the moments before he disappeared.
Police are urgently searching for a missing five-month-old boy last seen at a home in Sydney’s west. An urgent search…
A YOUNG WOMAN AND BABY LOST THEIR LIVES… — A devastating highway cr@sh at Oak Beach in Queensland has claimed the lives of a young woman and a baby, while another woman remains fighting for life in hospital.
A young woman and a baby have been killed in a horror crash that has left another woman fighting for…
CHILLING DETAILS ARE EMERGING… — Gang kingpin Lorenzo Lamalu has reportedly been g-u:nned down in Vietnam, sending shockwaves through Sydney’s underworld as police hunt two Australian men believed to be linked to the fatal sh00ting..
Police are hunting two Australian men believed to be linked to the deadly shooting. Sydney gang leader assassinated in Vietnam…
End of content
No more pages to load






