Andrew was arrested in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office while serving as a government envoy; new evidence suggests he was never vetted for the position.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1025x585:1027x587):format(webp)/Queen-Elizabeth-II-and-Prince-Andrew-Duke-of-York-attend-day-3-Ladies-Day-of-Royal-Ascot-111925-7b44f1d5f60a4a22a677e8b291337bbe.jpg)
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Andrew attend the Royal Ascot on June 22, 2017.Credit : Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty
As the investigation continues into the former Prince Andrew, British Parliament has compelled the release of previously unseen documents that show the late Queen Elizabeth may have played a part in landing her son the envoy position that ultimately led to his arrest earlier this year.
Following Andrew’s Feb. 19 arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office, British MPs voted to force the release of all documents relating to the disgraced former Duke of York’s time as a trade envoy for the British government.
This release included previously private documents that show the Queen personally campaigned for her second son to be given a bigger role in the government.
“The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests,” one document read.
According to a trade minister in Starmer’s government, Chris Bryant, there was “no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken” before Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor was given the post, or that anyone considered doing so.
However, he explained that Andrew’s appointment was “a continuation of the Royal Family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work following the Duke of Kent’s decision to relinquish his duties as Vice-Chairman of the Overseas Trade Board.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x0:1001x2):format(webp)/prince-andrew-7-1d49b81aab5344e19f13fe9e7d10613d.jpg)
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Andrew attend Trooping the Colour on June 8, 2019.Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty
One memo stated that he “should not be offered private golfing functions abroad,” with an aide describing golf as a “private activity” and insisting that “if he took his clubs with him he would not play in any public sense.” Another document showed British diplomat Kathryn Colvin raising concerns about Andrew’s preference for traveling to more “sophisticated” countries.
Most surprising to some of the MPs, however, is the lack of documentation that Andrew was ever properly vetted for the position.
“We have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered,” said Business Minister Chris Bryant, per The Sun and the New York Times, citing a statement accompanying the documents.
The Liberal Democrats, who called for the vote and were backed by Labour, released a statement on May 21 saying they found it “shocking and deeply troubling” that Andrew was not properly vetted.
“Nobody should be above such standards,” the statement continued. “This raises serious questions about why officials and ministers at the time thought that was acceptable.”
Following Andrew’s arrest in February, royal author Robert Jobson told PEOPLE that he believed the Queen approved Andrew’s role despite the objection of King Charles, who was then the Prince of Wales and her immediate successor.
“[Charles] thought he wasn’t qualified for it and, with him just out of the Navy, he should learn the job first. But he was ignored,” he said at the time.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/prince-andrew-king-charles-katharine-duchess-of-kent-funeral-103125-1-739452278a344694b0abfc13afea8f5b.jpg)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windor and King Charles at the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent, on Sept. 16, 2025.Chris Jackson/Getty
Rumors have long persisted that Andrew was Queen Elizabeth’s favorite son, and Jobson said he got the envoy position because the monarch used her power to “indulge him.”
“She was surrounded by people who were being paid to know things, and she was sharp as a tack when Andrew was appointed and throughout his tenure. She was surrounded by people whose job it was to protect her, including a prime minister who appointed him as a trade envoy,” said the author of The Windsor Legacy.
In October 2025, King Charles stripped Andrew’s royal titles as his ties to Epstein, a convicted sex trafficker, came under renewed scrutiny, as the U.S. Department of Justice released thousands of pages of evidence, including multiple mentions and photos of Andrew.
The disgraced former duke first lost his military titles and patronages in 2022, after he attempted to have a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre dismissed. The following month, he settled with Giuffre out of court for an undisclosed sum. Giuffre died by suicide on April 24, 2025.
Andrew has denied all wrongdoing regarding his ties to Epstein. Following his unprecedented February arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office which was unrelated to the sexual assault allegations, the first of a royal since 1649, when King Charles I was beheaded for high treason, he was released after about 11 hours in police custody and now faces an uncertain legal road ahead.
The King reacted to the arrest with a brief statement: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office… Let me state clearly: The law must take its course.”
Ailsa Anderson, former press secretary to Queen Elizabeth told PEOPLE at the time that the King’s choice of words was a deliberate way of “distancing himself.”
“That reverence people once had for the royal family is disappearing,” she said. “This is the damage Andrew has done.”
News
BREAKING NEWS — Prince William QUIETLY MAKES A SMALL BUT MEANINGFUL VISIT AFTER Aston Villa’s VICTORY
Just hours after celebrating Aston Villa’s electrifying win in Istanbul, the Prince of Wales has travelled to Cornwall to visit…
CAUGHT CAMERA — INSPECTOR BREAKS SILENCE ON MISSING 14-YEAR-OLD BOY AS SEARCH INTENSIFIES, CCTV REVEALS EVERYTHING…
A 14-year-old boy who has been missing for two weeks may have entered a river, with cops finding a pair…
THE SHOES WERE FOUND 500 METRES APART… — MAP OF MISSING 14-YEAR-OLD BOY’S FINAL MOVEMENTS SPARKS FEARS HE ENTERED RIVER
A 14-year-old boy who has been missing for two weeks may have entered a river, with cops finding a pair…
THEY THOUGHT HE WAS JUST MESSING AROUND… — FAMILY SCR-EAMS SUDDENLY ERUPT AFTER 12-YEAR-OLD BOY VANISHES UNDERWATER DURING RIVER OUTING
X Facebook A SCHOOLBOY was found trapped between two rocks after he drowned in a river while on a family…
RIVER TRAG-EDY ERUPTS — 12-YEAR-OLD BOY FOUND TRAPPED BETWEEN ROCKS AFTER FAMILY DAY OUT TURNS H0RRIFIC
X Facebook A SCHOOLBOY was found trapped between two rocks after he drowned in a river while on a family…
HE WAS FIERCE… — Kyle Busch’s FAMILY BREAKS SILENCE AFTER NASCAR STAR’S REPORTED DE-ATH AT 41
TWO-TIME Nascar Cup Series champion Kyle Busch has died aged 41. The legendary driver was hospitalized this week with a…
End of content
No more pages to load






