The identity of the man accused of br-utally att@cking a woman in her 20s early in the morning on Brookfield Rd has been revealed
The man who allegedly raped and assaulted a stranger as she went on a morning walk has been named.
Jacob Dave Henry Hauraki, 32, was identified as the woman’s alleged attacker in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday morning.
Police said the woman in her 20s had been walking along Brookfield Rd near the Brookfield Rd bridge about 6.30am on Thursday when she was “stopped by an unknown man and assaulted”.
The man was arrested a few kilometres from the scene of the alleged attack. Picture: Google
Detectives eventually found the 32-year-old Raceview man, a suburb nearly 40km away, on Moons Lane, not far from where the alleged assault took place.
Mr Hauraki was arrested and charged with six counts of rape and one count each of stalking, assault with intent to commit rape, assault occasioning bodily harm, and deprivation of liberty.
Police said the woman was on a walk about 6.30am Thursday when she was approached by the unknown man. Picture: Adam Head
The court was told he had no acute mental health concerns and would not be applying for bail.
His matters were adjourned for mention on September 18.
In response to the incident, specialist police patrols have been deployed throughout the Brookfield area “to ensure community safety over the coming days”.
Detective Superintendent Andrew Massingham said there was no ongoing threat to the public. Picture: QPS
Queensland Police Detective Superintendent Andrew Massingham said there was “no ongoing threat to public safety” on Friday morning.
“Officers acted very swiftly to commence an investigation. The ability for our officers to have immediate access to the description of the offender and potential victim led to a breakthrough just before 4pm yesterday,” he said.
Superintendent Massingham said part of the police’s ability to deal with the matter so quickly was down to the “bravery” of the alleged victim.
Police were able to respond to the incident swiftly due to the ‘bravery’ of the alleged victim. Picture: Adam Head
Detectives said the alleged incident was ‘confronting’. Picture: Adam Head
“I want to acknowledge the victim this morning and recognise her bravery in coming forward,” he said.
“This is a horrific and confronting incident that no one should ever experience.
“As of this morning, I can say that the victim is at home with her family. She has suffered injuries as a result of yesterday’s (alleged) assault, but she has been provided with the utmost care medically and psychologically that we can at this time.”
Police divers and SES volunteers have been helping out at the crime scene. Picture: Adam Head
Police divers and SES workers remain at the scene. Picture: Adam Head
Superintendent Massingham said police divers and SES workers would remain at the crime scene as the investigation continued, and members of the local community could expect a significant police presence in the area in the coming days.
He also thanked media outlets for reporting that he said led to a pair of witnesses coming forward with crucial dashcam footage, forming the “final piece of the puzzle” for police to track the alleged offender down.
SOURCE: NEWS.COM.AU
https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/crime/woman-allegedly-raped-assaulted-by-stranger-on-walk-in-outer-brisbane/news-story/4be363d4bfc2b380ba8439cbaa1933ca