King Charles praised as ‘true enthusiast of the theatre’ after he surprised a delighted crowd with his visit to a sold-out production of Shakespeare’s The Tempest.

View 3 Images
King Charles among theatregoers at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre(Image: Jeff Spicer/PA Wire)
King Charles shocked theatre goers after he unexpectedly arrived at a sold-out show, with the monarch’s reaction to the play revealed.
The King was met with cheers and applause from a crowd at the Royal Shakespeare Company’s production of The Tempest at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. King Charles took his seat among excited audience members and watched the play on Friday.
The King was the surprise guest at a production of The Tempest starring Sir Kenneth Branagh and the person sat with the King revealed his thoughts on the play.

View 3 Images
King Charles admiring a replica crown at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre(Image: Jeff Spicer/PA Wire)
On his arrival, the monarch was greeted by the Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire, Tim Cox, as well as the Royal Shakespeare Company’s (RSC) co-artistic directors Daniel Evans and Tamara Harvey.
Harvey, who sat with King Charles, said he was “laughing away” next to her during the performance. She added: “I think he genuinely enjoyed it.”
Evans said: “When Guy Henry came on, who plays Stephano, he reached over to me and said ‘Is that Guy Henry?’ I was just astonished at his knowledge of actors. You get the impression he’s a true enthusiast of the theatre.”
Excited crowd members were spotted peered down from dress circle seats to catch a glimpse of the King and others in the stalls got out their phone to take a snap.

View 3 Images
King Charles III speaks with Sir Kenneth Branagh(Image: Getty Images)
During the interval, the King was handed a drink before he met the RSC’s in-house costume department and admired a crown used in the company’s production of Edward II last year.
King Charles also touched the fabric of a dress worn by Dame Judi Dench in All’s Well That Ends Well in 2003, while he marvelled at David Tennant’s robe and gown from his role in Richard II in 2013. He also saw a costume worn by Sir Antony Sher in a 1984 production of Richard III. The King described the costumes as “brilliant”.
The King also gave a standing ovation at the end of the performance. Charles has been the patron of the RSC since 2024, following in the footsteps of the late Queen Elizabeth II – who held the patronage since the company’s creation in 1961.
Sir Kenneth is playing the role of the exiled Duke of Milan, Prospero, for the first time in his career, which has included 35 Shakespeare productions. The Tempest, which was one of the last plays written by Shakespeare, is running at the theatre until June 20.
Evans and Harvey said in a statement: “It was a tremendous honour to welcome His Majesty the King back to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre for this landmark production of The Tempest, which marks both Sir Kenneth Branagh’s historic return to Stratford-upon-Avon for the first time in over 30 years and Sir Richard Eyre’s debut with the company after a long and distinguished career directing for the British stage.”
SOURCE: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/kings-reaction-revealed-after-surprises-37196463
News
AMY, AMY… I THINK YOU JUST… — TERR-IFYING SCRE-AMS CAPTURED AFTER DRUNK SPEEDBOAT CRASH ON THE MURRAY RIVER IN MANNUM
A speedboat outing on the Murray River in Mannum turned into a horrifying tragedy within seconds after Michelle Lohf, 44,…
WHAT WAS THE CONNECTION? — THE LINK BETWEEN THE SYDNEY UNDERWORLD FIGURE SH0T DE-AD AND A FORMER NRL STAR IS NOW SPARKING MAJOR QUESTIONS
A senior member of the so-called Coconut Cartel, a gang locked in a months-long feud with the notorious Alameddine crime…
WHO IS THE HOODED MAN?— MYSTERY FIGURE SEEN IN VIDEO OF SYDNEY UNDERW0RLD BOSS ASSA-SSINATION SPARKS MAJOR FRENZY
Two Australian men are wanted for questioning in Vietnam following the murder of Sydney underworld figure Lorenzo Lemalu. Vietnamese authorities…
LOYALTY HAS NOW BEEN EXPOSED… — PRINCE HARRY’S REPORTED FEELINGS OVER PETER PHILLIPS’ WEDDING SNUB SPARK MAJOR ROYAL DISCUSSION
With a royal wedding just around the corner, the Duke of Sussex has reportedly been left out in the cold,…
NO ONE FEELS SAFE… — FEARS GROW INSIDE SYDNEY UNDERW0RLD AFTER LORENZO LAMALU SH00TING IN VIE-TN-AM
Police are hunting two Australian men believed to be linked to the deadly shooting. Police are bracing for potential violence…
SHE NEEDS HIM HOME… — MOTHER COLLAPSES DURING SEARCH FOR 14-YEAR-OLD SON MISSING FOR 15 DAYS ON THE MURRAY RIVER
Taylor Charlton, 14, was last seen outside a Tesco Extra in Barnstaple on 8 May The desperate mother of…
End of content
No more pages to load






