MERCEDES star Kimi Antonelli has escaped unharmed after being involved in a car crash ahead of Formula 1 pre-season testing in Bahrain.

His vehicle crashed into a guardrail in Serravalle, San Marino, according to Autosport.

Italy F1 GP Auto Racing

Kimi Antonelli is unharmed after being involved in a car crashCredit: AP

NINTCHDBPICT001057881092
The Italian was said to be driving a rare Mercedes AMG GT 63 PRO 4MATIC+ Motorsport Collectors EditionCredit: Instagram @mercedesamgf1
The first day of Formula One Bahrain testing starts on Wednesday and the crash is not expected to affect his programme.

Antonelli, 19, was said to be driving a rare Mercedes AMG GT 63 PRO 4MATIC+ ‘Motorsport Collectors Edition’.

The lucrative car is worth around £180,000 and there are only 200 of its kind in the world.

No other vehicles are understood to have been involved in the crash.

Mercedes confirmed the news and said he was unscathed, despite his car sustaining damage.

A statement read: “Last Saturday evening, near his home in San Marino, Kimi was involved in a road accident.

“The police attended the scene after being called by Kimi. His was the only car involved and, although the vehicle sustained damage, Kimi was completely unharmed.”

Antonelli was gifted the lucrative car by Mercedes less than a week ago.

The team posted a picture of the teenager standing next to the black chrome vehicle fitted with a AMG 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2R tyres.

They wrote on Instagram: “New year, new company car for @kimi.antonelli.”


The Mercedes star is preparing for the start of pre-season testing in BahrainCredit: Getty
Antonelli signed for Mercedes in 2024 as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton, who left the team for Ferrari.

He ended up coming in seventh in his first season, finishing just behind the seven-time world champion in the 2025 standings.

Antonelli completed the first shakedown of 2026 in Barcelona last week, with himself and team-mate George Russell both impressing.

Giving his verdict, he said he was pleased with his progress and was looking forward to the test in Bahrain.

He said: “Overall it has been a good shakedown for us. We’ve had our own issues but that hasn’t hindered our running too much.

“I am now looking forward to having a few days to work with the team and digest everything from Barcelona.

“I am already looking forward to being back in the car in Bahrain for the first official test though and continuing the journey towards the start of the season.

“We will go there with a good understanding of the car and hopefully we can hit the ground running once again.”