Derrick Callella, 42, allegedly sent ransom demand text messages to Nancy’s daughter Annie Guthrie, and her husband, Tommaso Cioni, on Feb. 4, authorities claim
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/Derrick-Callella-and-Nancy-Guthrie-021326-02d7123b671044b4a109e85c72894027.jpg)
Derrick Callella leaving court; Nancy Guthrie.Credit : KOLD NEWS 13/YouTube; Savannah Guthrie/Instagram
The man accused by federal authorities of sending fake ransom texts to Nancy Guthrie’s family amid the investigation into her kidnapping has been released from custody.
Derrick Callella, 42, of Hawthorne, Calif., appeared in federal court in Tucson on Thursday, Feb. 12. He is charged with two offenses: transmitting a demand for ransom in interstate commerce and utilizing a telecommunications device with intent to abuse, threaten or harass a person “without disclosing his identity,” the U.S. Department of Justice said in a press release.
He was released with pre-trial restrictions after his court appearance and declined to speak to reporters, according to local news stations KOLD and KVOA. A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona also confirmed Callella’s release in a statement to PEOPLE on Friday, Feb. 13.
Federal court records do not list an attorney who can speak on Callella’s behalf.
According to a criminal complaint obtained by PEOPLE, authorities allege Callella sent ransom demand text messages to Nancy’s daughter Annie Guthrie, and her husband, Tommaso Cioni, on Feb. 4.
“Did you get the bitcoin were [sic] waiting on our end for the transaction,” one of the texts allegedly read, per the complaint. Three minutes later, Callella allegedly made a call to a family member, which lasted nine seconds. (That family member was not identified.)
The complaint claims that the texts from Callella came shortly after Nancy’s other daughter, Today show co-host Savannah Guthrie, posted a video on Instagram alongside her siblings, asking Nancy’s apparent kidnappers to contact them.
“As a family, we are doing everything that we can. We are ready to talk,” the journalist said in the clip.
Nancy, 84, was last seen on Jan. 31, and authorities believe she was kidnapped from her Tucson home in the early morning hours of Feb. 1. No suspects or persons of interest have been named in the case.
However, the FBI has released surveillance footage of a masked and “armed” person appearing to tamper with a Nest camera at Nancy’s front door on the morning of her kidnapping.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(599x0:601x2):format(webp)/nancy-guthrie-nest-camera3-21026-f1f6f4a960a54b2abfab1ec3724796af.jpg)
A person seen on Nancy Guthrie’s doorbell camera on the morning of Feb. 1.Pima County Sheriff’s Department
“The suspect is described as a male, approximately 5’9” – 5’10” tall, with an average build. In the video, he is wearing a black, 25-liter ‘Ozark Trail Hiker Pack’ backpack,” the FBI Phoenix office said in a post on X shared Thursday.
Since Nancy went missing, multiple alleged ransom notes requesting multimillion dollar sums in bitcoin for her return have been sent to Arizona news stations KOLD and KGUN, but federal authorities said in the complaint that Callella is not connected to those.
After investigators identified Callella as the person allegedly linked to the phone number that sent the texts, they took him into custody, the complaint states.
While speaking to investigators, the complaint says, Callella allegedly admitted to sending the text messages. He claimed he found the family’s information on a “cyber site” and had been following the case on TV, per the complaint.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(767x371:769x373):format(webp)/Nancy-Savannah-Guthrie-today-2019-020226-13a98ca6b162416994d8777cc90e343b.jpg)
Nancy and Savannah Guthrie.Nathan Congleton/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty
FBI agent Heith Janke announced at a press conference on Feb. 5 that a person had been charged in connection with an imposter ransom demand. Callella was later identified as that suspect.
“The U.S. Attorney’s Office and FBI will continue to hold this defendant accountable and any other individuals who seek to interfere with federal investigations or profit from the victim’s family’s grief,” the release states.
As for Nancy’s case, the FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for any information leading to her recovery or an arrest.
News
Sister Tearfully Reveals: “Ash Was a Pillar of His Fishing Club…” — Coastal Community in Shock After Mysterious Disappearance Off Australia
This sister of a fisherman who went missing on the Gold Coast has issued a heartbreaking statement after police suspended…
In a situation where many adults might have panicked, Austin Appelbee remained remarkably calm. Experts say his actions reflected not only instinct, but also discipline and a level of courage rarely seen in someone so young
The critical Triple Zero (000) call made by 13-year-old Austin Appelbee to alert authorities after he and his family were…
“A SCREEN LEGEND FADE(S) AWAY…” — Bud Cort, Star of Harold and Maude and Beloved Character Actor, Di3s at 77 After Long Illness
Bud Cort, who found fame through his role in Harold & Maude in the early 1970s and also made appearances…
“THIS ONE HURTS LIKE HELL…” — Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Raw, Expletive-Filled Tribute After James Van Der Beek’s D-e-ath
James Van Der Beek has died, aged 48, after a battle with cancer, and his pals and former co-stars have…
10TH TIME CHAMPIONS! Budweiser MAKES SUPER BOWL HISTORY — Even Pepsi and Lay’s Left Watching
From polar bears to Clydesdales, these were the highest-rated Super Bowl ads By CNN Newsource staff (CNN) – Budweiser left nothing…
“I’m really scared…” ❓ Heroic teen’s triple-0 call that revealed the terrifying moments no one else could see
Austin Appelbee the 13-year-old WA hero who saved his family by swimming to shore when the group got into trouble…
End of content
No more pages to load


