A survivor of a deadly bus crash which killed a young tourist has claimed the driver warned passengers the vehicle was “not the best one” before it allegedly began moving erratically and rolled off the road.
Chilean tourist Barbara Goncalves told 7NEWS exclusively passengers felt unsafe for much of the journey, alleging the coach braked harshly and drifted between lanes before the crash.
A charter bus travelling from Cairns to Airlie Beach with 29 people on board left the Bruce Hwy at Gumlu, north of Bowen, about 4pm on Thursday.
The bus rolled onto its side on a creek embankment, killing 26-year-old Argentine-Italian tourist Serena Andreatta and injuring every other passenger onboard.
Goncalves and her partner Hernan had spent weeks travelling through Japan before the crash.


Videos and photos shared with 7NEWS show the couple admiring Mt Fuji, visiting shrines and riding the bullet train before flying to Queensland for the final leg of their journey to Hamilton Island.
Goncalves claimed the driver made concerning comments about the vehicle hours before the crash.
“He told me this bus is not the best one,” she said.
“But (he said) ‘it’s OK. It’s going to be OK’.”
“We felt unsafe most of the way.
“We had this feeling that something was going to happen.
“Now I regret. I should’ve said something to him.”


Queensland Police previously said all passengers onboard were tourists visiting the Whitsundays region, with the majority from overseas.
“It’s horrible because we are far from our family,” Goncalves said through tears.
“We don’t have any support here, so it’s hard.”
Speaking about fellow passengers after the crash, Goncalves said: “You could see how sad they were. How alone they felt.”
Two passengers were initially fighting for life, but survivors are now in stable conditions.
“It was a very complex incident, a very serious incident,” Mackay Whitsunday Superintendent Dean Cavanagh said on Friday.
“A lady has lost her life, it’s a real tragedy.”
FlixBus, the company whose platform listed the coach service, said safety was “the highest priority” and the company “goes beyond legal requirements”.
The company said it thoroughly trains drivers, monitors rest times and enforces strict standards.
Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has promised “a thorough, independent and detailed assessment as to what went wrong”.
SOURCE: https://7news.com.au/news/gumlu-bus-crash-tourist-injured-in-deadly-accident-claims-driver-warned-passengers-vehicle-was-not-the-best-c-22300741
News
HE WAS ONLY 14… — DEVASTATED FAMILY BEGS YOUNG OFFENDERS TO LISTEN AFTER TRAGIC CRASH CLAIMS TEEN’S LIFE
A heartbroken mother has issued a sobering plea to young criminals after her 14-year-old son was killed in a stolen…
NEW SHARK SCARE OFF ROTTNEST: BOATERS STUNNED AS HUGE GREAT WHITE APPEARS NEAR VESSEL AFTER DE-ADLY ATTACK TRAGEDY
Terrified fishermen have filmed the moment a five-metre-long great white shark menaced their small boat just off the coast of…
Lil Durk FACES ONLINE STORM AFTER VIRAL CLAIMS ABOUT King Von’S GRA-VESITE SPREAD — FANS DEMAND ANSWERS
The internet was thrown into another wave of emotional debate this week after viral posts began circulating around alleged activity…
KING VON WASN’T SIGNED TO DURK — Memo600 DROPS BOMBSHELL CLAIM AS HE ADDRESSES SH00TING, ROBBERY RUMORS & STREET DRAMA
Chicago drill culture has never been short on rumors, loyalty debates, and competing versions of history. But this week, attention…
FAMILY FEUD TURNED FATAL: RISING QUEENS RAPPER Prince McFarlane DE-AD AFTER PROPERTY DISPUTE SH0CKS COMMUNITY
The death of rising Queens rapper Prince McFarlane has left an entire community searching for answers after a family dispute…
HE HAD 13 SONGS WAITING, A PROPERTY DEAL READY TO CLOSE… THEN A FAMILY DISPUTE ENDED EVERYTHING — RISING RAPPER’S FINAL DAY LEAVES COMMUNITY SHATTERED
The death of rising rapper Prince McFarlane has left friends, relatives, and supporters struggling to process a tragedy that many…
End of content
No more pages to load






