A survivor of a deadly bus crash which killed a young tourist has claimed the driver warned passengers the vehicle was “not the best one” before it allegedly began moving erratically and rolled off the road.
Chilean tourist Barbara Goncalves told 7NEWS exclusively passengers felt unsafe for much of the journey, alleging the coach braked harshly and drifted between lanes before the crash.
A charter bus travelling from Cairns to Airlie Beach with 29 people on board left the Bruce Hwy at Gumlu, north of Bowen, about 4pm on Thursday.
The bus rolled onto its side on a creek embankment, killing 26-year-old Argentine-Italian tourist Serena Andreatta and injuring every other passenger onboard.
Goncalves and her partner Hernan had spent weeks travelling through Japan before the crash.


Videos and photos shared with 7NEWS show the couple admiring Mt Fuji, visiting shrines and riding the bullet train before flying to Queensland for the final leg of their journey to Hamilton Island.
Goncalves claimed the driver made concerning comments about the vehicle hours before the crash.
“He told me this bus is not the best one,” she said.
“But (he said) ‘it’s OK. It’s going to be OK’.”
“We felt unsafe most of the way.
“We had this feeling that something was going to happen.
“Now I regret. I should’ve said something to him.”


Queensland Police previously said all passengers onboard were tourists visiting the Whitsundays region, with the majority from overseas.
“It’s horrible because we are far from our family,” Goncalves said through tears.
“We don’t have any support here, so it’s hard.”
Speaking about fellow passengers after the crash, Goncalves said: “You could see how sad they were. How alone they felt.”
Two passengers were initially fighting for life, but survivors are now in stable conditions.
“It was a very complex incident, a very serious incident,” Mackay Whitsunday Superintendent Dean Cavanagh said on Friday.
“A lady has lost her life, it’s a real tragedy.”
FlixBus, the company whose platform listed the coach service, said safety was “the highest priority” and the company “goes beyond legal requirements”.
The company said it thoroughly trains drivers, monitors rest times and enforces strict standards.
Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has promised “a thorough, independent and detailed assessment as to what went wrong”.
News
Elaborate Distraction Technique: Setting Fire To Walmart Kids Section To Steal $10,000 Worth Of Jewelry
A WALMART shopper has been arrested after causing a fire in the kids section as part of an elaborate distraction…
Bloody gang war: Horrifying moment 9 masked thugs r@:m car, use gu.ns and m@:chetes to hunt down rivals right on the street
THIS is the shocking moment two vehicles rammed into a parked car in a masked gang attack on a quiet…
Horror In Arizona: Controlling Teenager Accused Of Sh00ting D3:ad His 16-Year-Old Pregnant Girlfriend And Their Unborn Child
A “CONTROLLING” teenager has been accused of shooting dead his pregnant girlfriend and their unborn child. The horror killing in…
Former NFL coaching legend Sherman Lewis passes away, leaving a legacy of 4 Super Bowl titles
FOUR-TIME Super Bowl champion Sherman Lewis has died at the 83 as tributes poured in for the legendary coach. Lewis…
“WE CAN’T LEAVE THEM AT THE MERCY OF THE SHARKS”: Elite trio capable of diving 150m assembled in frantic 48 hours to recover Maldives victims!
ELITE divers have begun a gruelling operation to recover four Italian tourists in the Maldives – amid a desperate scramble…
HE WAS VERY RESPECTFUL: Connroy’s heartbroken mother begs for her son’s d3:ath not to be in vain!
A heartbroken mother has issued a sobering plea to young criminals after her 14-year-old son was killed in a stolen…
End of content
No more pages to load






