Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesman.
He said the four were found “pretty much together.”
Story continues below advertisement
“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.

B.C. diver makes astonishing discovery of ancient glass sponges
The team used advanced technical systems, including closed-circuit rebreathers, a system that recycles exhaled breathing gas and removes carbon dioxide through a chemical scrubber, allowing for “significantly longer dives,” the organization explained.
The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 meters (160 feet) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 meters (98 feet).
Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.
Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.
News
INSIDE THE “SHARK GRAVE” WHERE 5 DIVERS TRAGICALLY D!:ED: HAUNTING FOOTAGE AND FRIGHTENING THEORIES THAT WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY!
THE murky “shark cave” where five Italian divers were tragically killed in the Maldives has been seen in haunting footage…
No matter where life leads, a father is always a father: Meghan’s subtle tribute to King Charles in 8th wedding anniversary post
Meghan Markle has shared pictures from her wedding to Prince Harry (Image: Meghan Markle/Chris Allerton) Meghan Markle has publicly marked her eighth wedding…
Horrific supermarket sh00ting: Revealing the unfinished dream shattered in an instant by a cold-bl00ded boyfriend!
A tragic case out of Stonecrest, Georgia, has drawn widespread attention after 25-year-old Shyla Cummings was fatally shot by her…
Heartbreaking: 7-month-old baby girl witnesses mother sh0.t d3;ad by ex-boyfriend right in front of her at a Publix parking lot in Stonecrest
A tragic case out of Stonecrest, Georgia, has drawn widespread attention after 25-year-old Shyla Cummings was fatally shot by her…
“It has quite honestly left him a shell”: Zara Tindall’s husband reveals his father Philip is “not doing great at the moment”
View 3 Images Mike Tindall, pictured with his wife Zara Tindall, shared an update on his father’s Parkinson’s Mike Tindall…
Failing to warm up the crowd but warming up the planet: Meghan faces fierce backlash for polluting the Earth during her Switzerland trip
Meghan speaks in Geneva (Image: Getty) When you fly 6,000 miles around the globe for a speech and just two dozen…
End of content
No more pages to load






