A woman’s decomposing body lay in the hallway of a home she shared with a man for weeks before being discovered by a relative after the man was detained for a medical assessment.
The 61-year-old woman’s body was found on Saturday by a family member of a 55-year-old man who lived with her at a New Town home in Hobart’s north.
Police and members of the acute mental health team had attended the property on Saturday morning to take him for a mental health assessment but did not enter the cluttered home, Tasmania Police Detective Inspector David Gill said.
‘The mental health team and police have spoken to the male person at the residence where he was immediately detained for that mental health assessment and conveyed to the Royal Hobart Hospital,’ he told reporters.
‘It wasn’t until later that day that another person attended the address to visit, and then found the body of the deceased woman on the floor.’
Det Insp Gill said it was apparent the woman had been dead inside the house for a number of weeks.
‘The male person has not made any disclosures of any form to members of Tasmania Police,’ he said.
Det Insp Gill confirmed the man’s mental health referral was made by someone else, and said he was being held at the Hobart Reception Prison after completion of his treatment while investigations continued.

+3
View gallery
Investigations continue after a 61-year-old woman’s body was found inside a share house in Hobart’s north

+3
View gallery
The grim discovery was made by a family member of a 55-year-old man who lived with her. The home remained a crime scene on Sunday

+3
View gallery
Detective Inspector David Gill said it was apparent the woman had been dead inside the house for a number of weeks
‘At this stage, he has not been charged with any offence,’ he said.
The home the pair had shared for some time was ‘chaotic’, with clutter everywhere.
‘When police attend any scene where a person is deceased, it’s obviously confronting and distressing, and this was no different,’ Det Insp Gill said.
Police are treating the woman’s death as suspicious, given she had been dead inside the house for weeks, but are keeping an open mind to her dying from natural causes.
An autopsy will be performed on Monday to ascertain the woman’s cause of death.
Lifeline 13 11 14
beyondblue 1300 22 4636
News
RACE AGAINST TIME IN Maldives: ELITE DIVERS RUSH TO RECOVER TOURISTS LOST IN UNDERWATER TRAGEDY AS FEARS GROW OVER WHAT MAY REACH THE SITE FIRST
Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian military rescue diver…
LATEST UPDATE: CHILLING VIDEO FROM Maldives RECOVERY MISSION REPORTEDLY REVEALS UNEXPECTED DETAIL BEFORE MILITARY DIVER’S DE-ATH — INVESTIGATORS NOW FACING NEW QUESTIONS
An eerie video captures the final hours of the Maldivian Coast Guard diver who died Saturday during a dangerous mission to recover the bodies…
I CAN’T BELIEVE SHE DIDN’T COME BACK… — HUSBAND BREAKS DOWN AFTER FINAL WORDS OF VETERAN DIVER MONTEFALCONE EMERGE FOLLOWING Maldives TRAGEDY
The last words of one of the marine biologists who died in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives were…
‘I’M SORRY, BUT THERE’S SOMETHING PEOPLE DON’T KNOW…’ — DELTA GOODREM BREAKS SILENCE AFTER EUROVISION HEARTBREAK AS NEW CLAIMS SPARK FRESH DEBATE
Delta Goodrem has spoken out after her narrow defeat at the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest, in which she finished in fourth place. The Aussie…
‘HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL BOY TO US’: FAMILY DEFENDS TEEN K-I-LLED IN STOLEN UTE CRASH AFTER WAVE OF ONLINE CRITICISM
A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has…
WIFE’S HEARTBREAKING TRIBUTE TO YOUNG DAD KI-L-L-ED IN H0RROR SHARK ATTACK — DEVASTATED FAMILY REMEMBERS THE ‘ONE-OF-A-KIND’ FATHER WHO LIVED FOR THE OCEAN
A Perth father-of-two who was killed in a horror shark attack off Rottnest Island has been remembered by his devastated family as…
End of content
No more pages to load






