Teenager fighting for life after stabbing west of Brisbane© Nine
A man has been mauled to death in a shark attack off the coast of Far North Queensland.
The 39-year-old set out on a boat with four people towards Kennedy Shoal off Hull Heads Beach, on the Cassowary Coast about 160 kilometres south of Cairns.
It is believed the group were about 30 kilometres offshore, in an area where bull sharks were sighted earlier in the day, when the man was attacked by a shark in the water.
The man was met by emergency services at a jetty, but died shortly after.© Nine
Police at the scene of a fatal shark attack near Hull Heads Beach, Queensland.© Nine
The man was brought back to shore just after midday for treatment by paramedics waiting at the Hull River boat ramp but died of his injuries on the jetty.
Local resident Jeffery Briggs recalled the frenzied scene at the jetty when the boat came back.
“By the time we’ve got in here, and got to the boat ramp, police were all over it,” he said.
Kennedy Shoal, where the attack happened, is popular with spearfishers.
Charter boat operator Gererd Pike said he saw several aggressive bull sharks earlier in the day in the area where the attack happened.
“I was out close to there today, and the bull sharks, mate we had one Spanish mackerel get eaten by about six bullies off the side of the boat there today,” he said.
It is not known if the group of four was spearfishing or if it was a bull shark that mauled the man.
Hull Heads is just south of popular tourist spot Mission Beach.
Close to the Great Barrier Reef, the area is popular for those wanting to go snorkelling and scuba diving, and also has several tropical islands for tourists to explore.
The death is the third from a shark attack in Australia this year.
In January, a 12-year-old Sydney boy Nico Antic died after an attack by a suspected bull shark near Shark Bay in Vaucluse.
Last week, a 38-year-old spearfisher Steve Mattabonni was killed off Rottnest Island in Western Australia after being attacked by a great white shark.
Nico Antic died in hospital after suffering severe injuries from a suspected bull shark attack.© Supplied
Sydney saw a spate of shark attacks earlier in the year as wet weather created brackish water near beaches and rivers across the city, which are ideal conditions for bull sharks.
Similar conditions hit the city this weekend, with residents urged to stay out of the water.
A report on the Queensland man’s death will be prepared for the coroner.
News
Why was the one-month-old infant completely uninjured amidst the intense att@:ck of 12 gu.nsh0ts?
A horrific shooting in Detroit, USA, on 20/05/2026 has left two siblings dead, while a one-month-old baby miraculously survived a…
Shocking “dirty” fingerprints found on the future king’s million-dollar luxury car: Who is the culprit that made Prince William cry out in frustration?
Prince Louis, Prince William, Prince George, Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte on June 14, 2025.Credit : Karwai Tang/WireImage NEED TO KNOW…
The underworld is currently putting forward two hypotheses regarding the motive behind the sh00ting that resulted in the d3:ath of boss Lorenzo Lemalu
It was only a matter of time before one of the myriad of Sydney’s gangsters hiding overseas would die in…
“It doesn’t matter where you are, we will get you”: The implied message behind the d3:ath of the Sydney underworld boss who just d!:ed right on the streets
It was only a matter of time before one of the myriad of Sydney’s gangsters hiding overseas would die in…
The mother-in-law always criticized her daughter-in-law for being poor… until the day her father showed up at their doorstep in his private helicopter
In the wealthy suburbs of Chicago, the Harper family was known as the perfect example of old money. They owned…
“Stranger Things” Producers Return with New Monster Series: The Next Hit to Dominate Netflix?
Calling all Stranger Things fans! Netflix‘s new eight-part mystery series, The Boroughs, has just landed on the streamer, and it’s already been hailed…
End of content
No more pages to load






