Family Holiday Turns Into Horror: Three De-ad and ...

Family Holiday Turns Into Horror: Three De-ad and Young Girl Fighting for Life After Tragedy at Shoreham Beach

The family who died in Sussex had been swimming in choppy seas while camping nearby, locals say.

A young girl remained fighting for her life overnight after the summer holiday horror that killed three of her relatives on Tuesday evening.

Ambulances, two helicopters and coastguards rushed to Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, at 3pm after fishermen reported seeing four people struggling in the water.

Sussex Police confirmed that a man, a woman and a teenage girl had died. The fourth relative, a younger girl, is in a critical condition. All four of those pulled from the water are from the same family.

The force said the family had been going for a swim when the tragedy unfolded. A fisherman is understood to have pulled one of the children out before raising the alarm.

Locals on Tuesday evening said the family had been camping on the harbour front nearby before tragedy struck.

The names of those who died are yet to be released. The family is understood to have relatives who live abroad.

Chief Superintendent James Collis confirmed at a press conference on Tuesday night that the coastguard is not searching for anyone else.

Three members of the same family have died after getting into difficulty in the water at Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday afternoon
+7
View gallery

Three members of the same family have died after getting into difficulty in the water at Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday afternoon

Police and ambulances rushed to the scene in West Sussex shortly after 3pm
+7
View gallery

Police and ambulances rushed to the scene in West Sussex shortly after 3pm

Two air ambulances were seen landing on the shore
+7
View gallery

Two air ambulances were seen landing on the shore

Witnesses said that fishermen first reported that four people had got into difficulty in the water
+7
View gallery

Witnesses said that fishermen first reported that four people had got into difficulty in the water

Sussex Police said: ‘Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people, a man, a woman, and a teenage girl, were sadly confirmed deceased.

‘A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in critical condition. We can confirm, all four people were from the same family, and their next of kin have been informed.

‘Specialist officers are supporting them at this incredibly difficult time, and our thoughts are with their family and friends.’

An investigation has been launched to understand the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

‘At this point, we believe all four entered the water from the land for a swim, and sadly, got into difficulty,’ the force added.

Pictures from the Shoreham seaside showed a huge emergency service response to the incident as eight ambulances parked on the shore beside helicopters.

They remained at the scene, around a 20-minute drive from Brighton, for hours after their 3pm arrival. A police cordon was eventually removed shortly before 9pm.

Road closures had been put in place nearby with the A259 Brighton Road, which runs alongside the beach, blocked in both directions from New Road to Kingston Lane.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Telegraph. ‘I heard from friends in the Coastguard that it was a family who had been living in tents by the harbour front.

‘They were camping just between the harbour arm and the fort. They have been there a couple weeks, I’ve walked my dog past them. People don’t usually camp there.’

Police were seen searching a car nearby
+7
View gallery

Police were seen searching a car nearby

Chief Superintendent James Collis said the family had entered the water for a swim
+7
View gallery

Chief Superintendent James Collis said the family had entered the water for a swim

Gary and Victoria Flint took their children to the beach for the day. Victoria, from Horsham, said: ‘We arrived at about three and soon after we heard the siren for the lifeboat.

‘We watched it launch then about 20 minutes later, it came back. Ambulances started arriving – more and more of them – then the air ambulances started.’

Another witness told ITV News: ‘I was up near the Coastguard tower when I saw two police officers come past me holding evidence bags after they looked to be going through belongings of, presumably, those who were involved in the incident.’

Alan Facer, 41, a fisherman from Hove, said the water would have been rough when the family got into trouble.

He told The Telegraph: ‘The wind earlier was south-westerly so usually the waves pick up quite a bit. At 3pm, the tide would have been quite high.’

MP for East Worthing and Shoreham Tom Rutland meanwhile described the incident as a ‘tragedy’.

He said: ‘I am deeply saddened by the tragic news that three people have died following an incident in the water near Shoreham Fort this afternoon.

‘I spoke earlier with Sussex Police and Shoreham RNLI and have been briefed on the response by the emergency services.

‘My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives, and I know the whole community here in Shoreham will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl receiving medical treatment in hospital.’

A spokesman from the RNLI said lifeboat crews were launched at around 2.50pm this afternoon.

Two other lifeboats were also launched from the Brighton lifeboat station shortly after 3pm.

The coastguard, meanwhile, said ‘it responded to an incident reported at Shoreham at about 2.45pm’.

They added: ‘An HM Coastguard helicopter was sent as well as Littlehampton, Shoreham and Newhaven Coastguard Rescue Teams, and an RNLI lifeboat from Shoreham.’

Disclaimer: This story is fictional and created for entertainment purposes only. Any names, characters, places, or events are fictitious or used fictitiously. No real person or organization is intended to be portrayed.

Related Articles