M9 HORROR: Five Teens Found Wearing Balaclavas After Fa-tal Wrong-Way Crash — And the Car Theft Mystery Deepens
THE five teenagers killed when their BMW ploughed head-on into a family’s car were all wearing balaclavas when cops found them.
Investigators believe those who died in the horror 3am crash, at Junction 3 on the M9 motorway in Co Kildare, were Joey Carthy, 15, Alex McCarthy, Jack Kennedy, Kamil Pustkowski, all aged 17, and 18-year-old Jeremy O’Brien.

Five teens were killed when their BMW ploughed head-on into a family’s carCredit: Niall Carson/PA Wire

Micheal Martin condemned the criminals for the ‘reckless’ death game crazeCredit: Grainne Ni Aodha/PA Wire
Last night, the young criminals were condemned by the Taoiseach for seemingly taking part in a “reckless” death game craze of driving on the wrong side of a motorway, while the Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan branded the teenagers’ actions as “outrageously dangerous criminal behaviour”.
Carthy and Kennedy were from Athy, while McCarthy and O’Brien were Carlow natives.
Their pal Pustkowski — who had previously posted videos of himself online in suspected stolen cars — was from Limerick.
Sisters Niamh and Alma Kinsella, both in their 30s, were travelling in the front of the second car, while younger sister Ella Hendricken, in her 20s, and Alma’s seven-year-old son Yemi were in the back seat.
Read more in News

Jack Kennedy, 17, perished in the crash

So too did Alex McCarthy, 17

Jeremy O’Brien, 18, also died in the collision

Joey Carthy, 15, was also killed
All four suffered serious injuries as the Co Carlow family travelled to Dublin Airport to catch an early morning flight to the UK for a family wedding.
Micheal Martin yesterday said: “I’m shocked and saddened at the horrific road crash on the M9.
“This is the second appalling crash we’ve seen on our roads in a matter of days as a result of the reckless driving of a car on the wrong side of the motorway — endangering the lives of innocent road users.
“As the Garda Commissioner has said, it is an irresponsible and dangerous act and it is shocking in some cases that it is being done for likes on social media.”
As the investigation into the crash continues, Gardai believe the teenagers tried to break into THREE other cars in Athy before travelling to Moone.
Detectives have established their 2007 BMW was bought for cash just days before the crash.
It’s believed that the car was sold on August 11 for €1,100 to an associate of one of the teenagers.
A friend of the man who sold the car said his pal had flogged the BMW on Facebook Marketplace a few days ago. It is unclear if he sold it directly to the five teens.

Kamil Pustkowski also died in the smash

Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan confirmed Gardai will be given pursuit trainingCredit: Niall Carson/PA Wire
The man said his friend cried yesterday when he realised his former motor was involved in the collision, adding: “He is really sad. He’s like anybody who sells a car. When someone comes for it you can’t be like, ‘Give me your ID’.
“It’s very sad for those people, you can’t do anything, just pray for them.”
One theory is the unsuspecting owner of the car sold it to a buyer who later passed it to one of the teenagers killed in the smash.
A source added: “The vehicle wasn’t reported as stolen. The car was almost 20 years old and it’s often the case cars like this are sold for cash or for a runaround.”
Once at Junction 3, the car refused to stop for a Garda patrol car before driving the wrong way — southbound on the northbound carriageway of the motorway. The Garda car did not follow the vehicle into oncoming traffic.
At 3.04am, their BMW crashed head-on into a Hyundai.
All teenagers were killed at the scene while the three women and the boy in the Hyundai remain in hospital with serious injuries.
A Garda liaison officer has been appointed to their relatives as they continue to fight for their lives.
Local priest Fr Little told The Irish Sun: “They’re doing their best to recover, they’re critically ill, some of them.
“The community at the moment is horrified by the accident. Everyone is very sorry for all concerned. I understand that an autopsy will be carried out on the boys who were killed tomorrow.”
One source told us: “The teens who lost their lives in this tragedy are known to Gardai but have no ties to the so-called Lucky Dip crime gang.
“They have been involved in car thefts in the Kildare and Carlow areas and the suspicion is they are trying to mimic the organised crime gangs who target high end cars in burglaries.
“It looks as if they were engaged in this type of behaviour simply to get likes on social media.”
After the crash, cops established the teens were wearing balaclavas.
Although the remains of four were discovered by emergency services, a fifth was found underneath the BMW when it was being moved.
Family members took to social media to pay tribute to them.
Margaret Berry, the mother of Jeremy O’Brien, said: “Rest in heavenly peace my beautiful son. Things will never ever be the same without you. I can’t believe I am even writing this — you took a piece of my heart to heaven with you.”
Meanwhile, friends and neighbours of the family injured in the fatal crash spoke of their shock.
A neighbour of Alma and Yemi said: “I realised this morning. I don’t know what to think. It’s surreal,” while another added, “It’s so tragic. Just shocking.”
One local who lived a few doors down in the quiet estate said: “I used to see Yemi playing outside, he was such a happy boy. They were heading to the UK for a wedding with their aunties.”
A woman who has known Alma for 20 years and has lived a few doors down from her is also devastated by news of the crash.
Speaking from her holiday in Canada, the woman told The Irish Sun: “I’ve been crying all day. Yemi is my son’s best friend. He’s an awesome, amazing boy. They’re an amazing family.
“Alma is amazing. On her lunch breaks she would bring my son and Yemi to the park for 30 minutes, get them ice cream, come back home. She’s just amazing. It’s so shocking to hear this.
“I was low-key praying it wouldn’t be them. I haven’t even told my kids. They’ve obviously heard about the crash, they all know social media. But they don’t know that this is someone that we know. I hope they don’t even hear, I hope they’ll be OK before we come back.”
Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan yesterday confirmed gardai will be given pursuit training to help when dealing with similar situations.
He also repeatedly emphasised the importance of placing responsibility for the road tragedy on those who drove the car the wrong way down the motorway.
The Minister said: “It lies with the five individuals who got into the car and drove it the wrong way down a motorway. You’ll end up in jail, or you’ll end up in a grave.
“Yesterday we saw outrageously dangerous criminal behaviour by five teenagers that resulted in them losing their own lives.
“They caused serious injuries to four innocent people who were lawfully driving on the M9. I want to wish the injured family members a full and speedy recovery, and I want to condemn in the strongest possible terms that reckless criminal behaviour.
“Those who deliberately drive vehicles the wrong way down a motorway are engaged in behaviour that is lethal and is a serious threat to other road users.”
Mr O’Callaghan added: “Events such as this emphasise that social media companies have a responsibility to enforce their own code of conduct which prohibits content that glorifies criminal behaviour.”