HEARTBREAKING SHOREHAM HORROR: Little Girl, 6, Di-es in Hospital After Family Drowning Tragedy
A six-year-old girl has died in hospital just days after three members of her family drowned in the same tragedy off Shoreham.
Saja El-Khawas was pulled out of the water and taken to hospital after the family came into trouble while swimming close to the shore in West Sussex, on Tuesday.
But the youngster, who was in critical condition, has now died, a law firm acting for the hospital and the Palestinian Forum in Britain reported.
Her older sister Sara El-Khawas, 14, and her parents, Hassan El-Khawas, 55, and Zeina Alayn, 37, died during the tragedy.
The family were British citizens of Palestinian origin who came to the UK from the Rashidieh Camp in southern Lebanon, the Palestinian embassy said.
The camp is on the Mediterranean coast and one of the most populous Palestinian refugee camps in the country.
It is understood that the family had travelled down from their home in north-west London to visit Shoreham for the day.
Floral tributes were left at Shoreham beach following the tragedy.

+9
View gallery
Saja El-Khawas, six, has died in hospital just days after three members of her family drowned at Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex

+9
View gallery
Zeina Alayn, 37, died alongside her husband and two daughters at Shoreham-by-Sea

+9
View gallery
Hassan El-Khawas, 55, who died alongside his wife and children, was a Palestinian refugee

+9
View gallery
Eldest daughter Sara El-Khawas, 14, was described by her school as a ‘sweet girl’ who was ‘well-liked’ by her classmates and teachers
The family lived in a first-floor, two-bedroom council flat, with neighbours describing them as a ‘warm, close family’.
Sam, who lives on the ground floor of the building, said the family had lived there for ten years and spoke little about their life before coming to the UK.
‘Hassan was a lovely man and I often saw him in the shared garden we have. I saw him a couple of days ago and he said they were going down to the seaside for a day trip,’ he said.
‘They’ve been in the flat for quite a few years and two of their youngest kids were born since they’ve been living there. They were a warm, close family and what’s happened is devastating.’
Ahmed, another neighbour, said: ‘All I know is that they were in a refugee camp before coming to the UK which was more than ten years ago. Hassan worked as a builder and was a down to earth guy who was always smiling and friendly.’
Eyewitnesses claimed one of the girls got tangled in a fishing net, sparking the tragedy. A fisherman pulled one of the children out before raising the alarm.
Joe Chrisp, 24, said: ‘One of the local fishermen said it was two adults, two kids.
‘One of the kids apparently got caught in a fishing net.’
The investigation into the incident remains open, but police believe it was a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.
In a tribute to the family, the Palestinian Forum in Britain mourned their passing earlier this week.
‘With hearts believing in God’s decree, the Palestinian Forum in Britain mourns Mr Hossam El-Khawas, his virtuous wife, and their daughter – from the Rashidieh refugee camp in Lebanon – following their drowning in the Sussex area,’ it said.
‘We pray for the recovery of their second daughter, who was transferred to the hospital.’
The forum added: ‘We also request help in reaching out to the family (for those who know them) so we can fulfill our collective duty together.
‘May God bestow His vast mercy upon them, welcome them into His spacious gardens, and grant their loved ones patience and solace. Indeed, to God we belong and to Him we shall return.’

+9
View gallery
Floral tributes and a lantern were left at the scene after the tragedy on Tuesday

+9
View gallery
Police and ambulances rushed to the scene in West Sussex shortly after 3pm

+9
View gallery
Two air ambulances were seen landing on the shore after the incident

+9
View gallery
The family lived in a first-floor, two-bedroom council flat in north-west London (pictured)
Tributes were also paid to Sara by her school.
The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls released a tribute on its website following news of her tragic death.
A spokesperson for the school wrote: ‘It is with great sadness that we share the news that our Year 8 student, Sara, has died following a tragic incident during the school holidays.
‘Sara was a sweet girl, well-liked by staff and students, and she will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences are with her family, friends, and all those affected.
‘This news will be deeply upsetting for many students, families and staff. We are putting additional support in place for those who have been affected and will continue to work with specialist services to ensure help is available to anyone who needs it.
‘We ask that the family’s privacy is respected as they come to terms with their loss.’