An eerie video captures the final hours of the Maldivian Coast Guard diver who died Saturday during a dangerous mission to recover the bodies of the Italian tourists trapped in a deep underwater cave.
Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee was filmed on Friday standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the nation’s President, Dr. Mohamed Muizzu, as the elite crew of rescuers pored over the day’s plan to find the victims’ remains.
Mahudhee was on board the boat that towed Muizzu to the site of the tragedy so he could observe the eight-person task force clear the cave’s second chamber, before bad weather forced the crew to pack up early.

Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee was filmed poring over rescue plans with Dr Mohamed Muizzu the day before his death.x/psmnewsmv
The crew worked in shifts to locate the missing Italians.
Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, entered the water Saturday with the goal of exploring the cave’s third and final chamber, but became ill during the excursion.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he died, officials said.
His cause of death is underwater decompression sickness, officials said, which is the formation of gas bubbles in the blood and tissues typically caused when a diver rises too quickly from the depths.

Mahudhee died from underwater decompression sickness, officials said.X/MNDF_Official
“His courage, sacrifice, and service to the nation will always be remembered. Our deepest condolences to his family and colleagues,” the military wrote on X.
Mahudhee’s death “goes to show the difficulty of the mission,” said Maldives Presidential Spokesman Mohammed Hussain Shareef.
Five Italian scuba divers were killed this week when they plunged 160 feet into an underwater cave.

The elite crew was clearing the three chambers of the underwater cave.Maldives Presidents Media Division via AP
The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is just under 100 feet.
Only the body of Gianluca Benedetti, of Padua, has been recovered.
The remains of Monica Montefalcone, a marine biology professor at the University of Genoa, and her 20-year-old daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, as well as Muriel Oddenino of Turin and Federico Gualtieri of Borgomanero, are still missing.
What do you think? Post a comment.
The Italian Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, said everything possible would be done to bring the victims home and that his ministry was coordinating with the Divers Alert Network, a specialist diving organization.
With Post wires
News
“YOU A FOOL!” — LIL WOODY EXPLODES AFTER JULIO FOOLIO CASE VERDICT SPARKS CONTROVERSY IN COURTROOM
In a courtroom already filled with tension and emotion, the latest verdicts in the Julio Foolio-related trial have triggered a…
RACE AGAINST TIME IN Maldives: ELITE DIVERS RUSH TO RECOVER TOURISTS LOST IN UNDERWATER TRAGEDY AS FEARS GROW OVER WHAT MAY REACH THE SITE FIRST
Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian military rescue diver…
I CAN’T BELIEVE SHE DIDN’T COME BACK… — HUSBAND BREAKS DOWN AFTER FINAL WORDS OF VETERAN DIVER MONTEFALCONE EMERGE FOLLOWING Maldives TRAGEDY
The last words of one of the marine biologists who died in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives were…
POLICE REVEAL ‘DEEPLY DISTURBING’ SCENE AFTER WOMAN FOUND DE-AD INSIDE HOME — INVESTIGATORS SAY ‘TOO MANY QUESTIONS REMAIN’
A woman’s decomposing body lay in the hallway of a home she shared with a man for weeks before being…
‘I’M SORRY, BUT THERE’S SOMETHING PEOPLE DON’T KNOW…’ — DELTA GOODREM BREAKS SILENCE AFTER EUROVISION HEARTBREAK AS NEW CLAIMS SPARK FRESH DEBATE
Delta Goodrem has spoken out after her narrow defeat at the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest, in which she finished in fourth place. The Aussie…
‘HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL BOY TO US’: FAMILY DEFENDS TEEN K-I-LLED IN STOLEN UTE CRASH AFTER WAVE OF ONLINE CRITICISM
A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has…
End of content
No more pages to load






